Generally, selecting a suitable pallet racking system is a multifaceted process as choosing the wrong kind of racking may adversely affect the warehouse productivity and may also lead to an expensive repair.
There are several aspects to consider like cost & budget, floor dimensions, safety and durability for efficient storage of products. To know more about the factors to consider before installing a pallet racking system, see the following:
- Warehouse Layout:
The facility storage space is an important consideration before installing a pallet racking system. The size, shape, as well as the height of the warehouse, will determine the types of racks you need. You also need to check for the positioning of doors and windows for optimal storage rack usage.
An in-depth analysis of warehouse capabilities against your load requirement may result in improving the warehouse layout and functionality, and its flow process for convenient loading and unloading. The layout has to be such that there is enough space in between aisles for workers to move around safely.
- Keeping Employees Safe:
At all times, employee safety must be the primary concern for any employer. When hundreds of thousands of pounds are high above employee’s heads, it is critical that any pallet racking system is constructed correctly and made for the type of product it contains.
Before workers even begin working at a workplace that has a new pallet racking system, several essential items must be covered:
- Proper training for all workers, including instruction on how to operate pallet racks, their specifications, and constant supervision during the actual work.
- Lift drivers must also be properly qualified on top of any other training they have received and must have paperwork to verify that training.
- There must be proper lighting, clean and unobstructed floors, and aisles, and every single pallet must be undamaged.
- Daily inspections of racking must be performed – and a process should be in place to track them.
- Reporting methods to report racking damage should be in place and made aware to every employee.
- Finally, never exceed the manufacturer recommended loads.
- Proper Maintenance and Care:
As an offshoot of employee safety, proper maintenance and care of a pallet racking system can significantly offset potential money loss in terms of system repair or replacement. In order to ensure a warehouse and pallet racking system is functioning at peak capacity, these steps can be taken to minimize risk and cost while maximizing functionality:
- Ensure all uprights are anchored properly to the floor and inspect them daily.
- Installing guard and handrails along with high traffic areas and near corner uprights help keep racking systems safe.
- Usage of beam seals, on every beam, will alert employees and supervisors to tampering or alteration of the racking system.
- Make sure all beams and uprights are straight, square, and level – daily visual inspections can ensure all are up to code.
- Make sure there are signs to inform employees where they can and cannot travel by foot – to avoid lift collisions – as well the proper way to care and use racking systems.
- Remove all damaged parts as quickly as possible or discontinue use if an immediate replacement is not possible.
Also, it is important to remember that choosing the wrong pallet racking system could result in employee injury. Busy warehouses or industrial workspaces looking to save some money might choose roll formed racks, even if they may have loads heavier than manufacturer recommendations.
Pallet racks are a standard storage solution for all the needs that require immediate access to parts and products. The access you need to your products depends on several factors such as type of goods, the stock rotation and movement, the frequency of loading, unloading, and dispatches, and many more.
Planning access to warehouse products seems an obvious step for warehouse designing. If not, then there are possibilities of serious accidents or damage in the warehouse.
- Strength and Durability:
Collapsing of a pallet rack is one of the main causes of warehouse accidents. This may cause injuries to employees as well as damage to the products. These issues may be prevented using durable and robust pallet racks which outweigh the products to be stored on them and have suitable dimensions.
It is also important to estimate the approximate weight of the products and the weight capacity of the shelf that you will choose.
One vital consideration in choosing a pallet rack system is how much it will cost. The expenses could be divided into three areas – the storage system, design, and installation.
One may consider low-priced pallet racks to save money, but this may not always work in terms of safety and streamlining. So, it is a good idea to consult an experienced warehouse storage solutions provider who will assist you in the selection of an optimized racking system that fulfills your needs.
Not all racking systems are created equal, and a business should do their research before investing in a racking system. Once installed, it is challenging and costly to remove and install a different system if the first one was unsuitable to the needs of the business.
Racking systems are a critical component to any warehouse or industrial workspace, and employee safety should be the highest priority. Always follow manufacturer guidelines when installing and maintaining a system.
Finally, be sure to understand and follow all governmental regulations surrounding racking systems to avoid costly fines and injuries.
Ordering pallet racking with Storeway Racking and Shelving Systems is easy – just call us on 021-35686412 or email us at [email protected] for further assistance.