Mobile Shelving Systems in particular or any type of Compressed Filing System in general, allow one to reduce the footprint of high density storage and optimize their space. This not only helps in organizing, but it also helps to increase storage space, allowing one to store more without enlarging their existing premises.
While there are numerous advantages of Mobile Shelving Systems, there could be several disadvantages to it too, if not done right. We have compiled a list below to help our customers avoid these mistakes.
- Not Accounting For Space Requirements:
Planning for the necessary storage space is critical. Floor space is at a premium in warehouses, and space optimization is the primary reason for purchasing mobile shelving. When planning to install mobile shelving, it’s critical that you plan the quantity, dimensions, and weight of the inventory that these shelving units will have to support. This allows you to determine how many racking units you will need, how many units your warehouse floor space can permit, and the type.
- Storage and Retrieval Process:
The storage process in a warehouse is affected by several logistical and environmental factors. How you organize docking, receiving, and storage determines the optimal storage solutions. This includes FIFO and LIFO — two inventory management methods that you’ll use in the field of storage and distribution.
FIFO is an acronym that stands for “first in, first out.” This means that the first item that enters your facility is also the first item to leave. FIFO is often necessary for perishable goods.
LIFO stands for “last in, first out.” In a LIFO layout, the last item that enters the warehouse is the first item to be sold or otherwise removed from stock.
- Passing on Accessories:
Don’t pass on our Storeway accessories. While Storeway Racking and Shelvings ensure you’re using your space efficiently, it’s the accessories that promote efficiency within your operation. Here are a few of our most popular accessories:
- Shelf Rails: Keep your friends close and your storage items closer. Our Shelf Rails decrease the chances of spills, breakage and items falling off the sides or back or your shelving. This accessory is especially encouraged on any mobile or High Density Storage System.
- Shelf Dividers: Keep small items like condiments from wobbling or falling over by adding our Shelf Dividers. This accessory is also a great solution for maintaining a hygienic environment and preventing cross-contamination.
- Divider Bars: Your unit can be anything you want it to be. Divider Bars allow you to create a custom storage unit with storage boxes, food pans and on either stationary or mobile shelving. The resulting custom unit can be used as a station for to-go, drying, storage and more. This accessory is also ideal for removing produce from the corrugated packaging into proper storage boxes and transporting from the receiving area to the walk-in.
- ID Tags: Make it easy for employees to know where items are stored—and keep it that way— with ID Tags.
- Material Selection:
Whether you choose Mobile Shelving, the material you select should be appropriate to the environment. If your shelving units will be supporting heavy machine parts, castings, and dies, you need to be aware of weight limits.
If your shelving will be housed in high-humidity or cold environments, it’s worth seeking a proper level of corrosion resistance.
It’s not good enough to be aware of the weight limits you’ll need when ordering shelving. You should also ensure that your staff is adequately trained and understand proper loading procedures. Overloading a shelving system, either regarding weight or volume, can cause damage to the system and, potentially, collapse.
- Failure to Assess Condition:
You should periodically evaluate the condition of your Mobile Shelving Systems, whether mechanical or powered, to ensure that they have not suffered damage due to use and other causes. If repairs are necessary, ensure that they are implemented as soon as possible. A damaged shelving system is not only a potential drain on resources — it’s a potential safety hazard.
Maximise Your Storage Space with Our Mobile Shelving Systems
We understand that real estate is an extremely expensive commodity and so our high density Mobile Shelving Systems are designed to save up to 66% space, thereby increasing your storage capacity. This ensures that only a part of your office space is utilised for storage and the rest is free for you to do with as you please. Fitted on tracks and equipped with easy-to-use handles, our Mobile Shelving Systems are ideally for office use to store records and important files. These Mobile Shelving Systems are versatile enough to also be used in your homes in walk-in closets to maximise space. They can be fitted with adjustable shelving or our premium quality cupboards to suit your requirements.
Gujrat Steel Pvt. Ltd is the oldest and most experienced Mobile Shelving manufacturer in Pakistan. We proudly design, manufacture and install our Mobile Shelving Systems that are custom designed to suit their space and needs. So call us today and let us help you plan your space better!